Archiv der Kategorie: Juwelier Koch, Frankfurt | Workshop Friedrich Kreuter & Co Hanau | Court jeweller

Royal Jewels made by Kreuter & Co. ca. 1900-1950, Hanau, Deutschland
Royal Jewels made by jeweller Koch Frankfurt, workshop Friedrich Kreuter & Co, Hanau
Diadem made by jeweller Koch, Tiara made by workshop Friedrich Kreuter & Co, Hanau
Hanauer Juwelenfabrikation Fr. Kreuter u. Co., gegründet 1842 von Georg Friedrich Kreuter 1815-1902 und Wilhelm Karl Ludwig Kreuter 1813- fertigte zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts in enger Zusammenarbeit mit dem jüdischen Juwelier Robert Koch 1852-1902, über dessen Filialen in Frankfurt und Baden-Baden der Hanauer Schmuck angeboten wurde,

Ab 1879 arbeitete sie mit dem Juweliergeschäft Robert Koch (Frankfurt und Baden-Baden, seit 1883 Hofjuwelier) zusammen, als auch mit Juwelier Friedländer, Berlin.
Peter Rath, München, A. Nees in Bad Kissingen, Ernst Treusch in Leipzig; Firma Hessenberg, Frankfurt; Max Friedrich Koch Berlin – bezog Schmuck der Frma Kreuter;

Adelshäuser aus ganz Europa und Russland gehörten zu ihren Kunden. Während der Firmenzeit wurden über 700 Kronjuwelen produziert, für deutsche, mitteleuropäische und russische Adelshäuser sowie für zahlreiche abnehmende Hofjuweliere, Auftragsarbeiten, in Europa und Übersee.

Die Anfänge der Firma für Juwelen- und Goldschmiedearbeiten“ als Firma Kreuter & Co. Die Firma Kreuter & Co.
Juwelier Robert Koch, Hofjuwelier in Frankfurt am Main und Baden-Baden

7. Die Hanauer Schmuckmanufakturen auf den Weltausstellungen

Stilistische Einordnung der Kreuter-Schmuckentwürfe
Kreuter-Schmuck zum Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts bis 1914
Die Schmuckproduktion Kreuters während der Kriegsjahre von1914 bis 1919
Kreuter-Schmuck von 1919-1932
Schmuck in den 1930ern – die nationalsozialistische Zeit von1933-1945
Der Schmuck Hugo Levens Zeichner der Firma Kreuter & Co.
Weitere Kooperationspartner der Fa. Kreuter

Hanau gilt als eines der wichtigsten Schmuckzentren Deutschlands, dessen Goldschmiedegewerbe bis ins 16. Jahrhundert zurückreicht. Ihre wirtschaftliche Blüte erlebte die „Gold- und Silberschmiedestadt“ in der Zeit etwa zwischen 1800 bis zum Zweiten Weltkrieg. Die Juwelenfirmen spezialisierten sich in dieser Zeit auf hochwertigen Juwelenschmuck und Hanau entwickelte sich nach Pforzheim zum zweitgrößten Schmuckzentrum Deutschlands. Eine der einflussreichsten war die Juwelenfirma Kreuter & Co., deren Entwürfe aus der Schaffenszeit von 1842 bis 1984 im Firmenarchiv dokumentiert sind. Die enge Zusammenarbeit mit dem seit 1879 bestehenden Juweliergeschäft „Robert Koch“ in Frankfurt (seit 1883 Hofjuwelier) begründete den gemeinsamen Erfolg. Der Schmuck Kreuters durchlief seit Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts bis etwa 1945 mehrere markante Stilwandlungen: Angefangen beim Historismus, folgte ein Jugendstil französischer Prägung, der Art Déco und schließlich der Farbgoldschmuck der Vierziger und Fünfziger Jahre. Kreuters Entwerfer nahmen zeittypische Einflüsse auf, die sie in eigenständigen Interpretationen kreativ und hochwertig umsetzten.

Appendix VII: Zeitungsartikel über Pariser Schmuck auf den Weltausstellungen 210
Appendix VIII:Ergänzender Zeitungsartikel zuKapitel
Appendix IX:Weitere Schmuckstücke, dieKreuterzugeordnet werden können

Katalog zu Kapitel 9, Entwurfzeichnungen der Firma Kreuter & Co.
Katalog zu Kapitel 10, Entwurfzeichnungen der Firma Kreuter & Co.
Katalog zu Kapitel 11, Entwurfzeichnungen von Hugo Leven

Koch, Robert (1854 – 1902)

For most of his life, Robert Koch, a purveyor to all the royal courts and high nobility of Europe, with shops in Frankfurt and Baden-Baden, is considered to be the Cartier of Germany.

In hopes of providing better opportunities for her five children, Regine Koch, a doctor’s widow, moves the family to Frankfurt am Main in 1870. Due to his mathematical talents, son Robert works as a teller at the Frankfurt Vereinsbank, but then follows his artistic passions and opens a jewellery store in 1879. His equally admirable younger brother Louis becomes his partner. Robert marries in 1880. The Koch company expands, thanks to the booming economy at the end of the 19th century. The family-run business places a high priority on customer relationships and acquisition, travels extensively throughout the country and makes a point to personally visit customers. Koch also participates in all the important industry exhibitions in Berlin and Hamburg. Early on, Robert Koch introduces Germany to jewellery from India. In the 1880s, the brothers open a store in Baden-Baden in the Kolonnaden, where the fashionable, the royal and the business elite mingle. Louis – a marvellous salesperson with sophisticated taste – takes over the branch store. He and his brother are among the richest men in Frankfurt around 1900. Their success is a result of several factors, including a clear sense of style, excellent taste and business acumen, but also a novel strategic approach: they manufacture their own ideas and designs in their own large studios in Hanau by their own masterful experts. Jewels from Koch are recognisable by a very special style and quality. Koch’s customers include many German dynasties, among them the houses of Hessen, Thurn und Taxis, and the Hohenzollern, which bestows the title of court jeweller at the turn of the century. They quickly achieve a level of international fame. The King of Italy, the Russian Tsar and the Prince of Wales all do business with Koch. In the years 1898 to 1918 the jeweller produces no less than 704 tiaras and crowns and 50 to 60 bandeaux. The beloved diadems are delicate and fine, mostly fashioned in a garland style.

In 1902 the jewellery business moves to an imposing store on Kaiserstrasse in Frankfurt. In the same year, Robert Koch dies at the age of 51. Louis manages the business alone until 1909 when Robert’s son Otto joins the company, along with Hermann Netter. Their style reflects the fashion of the time. Otto dies as the result of a riding accident in 1920. Louis dies in 1930. The jewellery business carries on, managed by Koch’s grandsons Rudolf and Robert Heilbrunner. The Kochs, a Jewish family, emigrate in 1935 to England, whereby the store in Baden-Baden is forced to close. After the war, the Frankfurt jeweller reopens in 1949 but with new owners. The traditional house finally closes its doors indefinitely in 1986.
BIJOUTERIEFABRIK
KREUTER

Das 1905 errichtete ehemali-
ge Fabrikgebäude der Bijou-
teriefabrik Fr. Kreuter & Co.
befindet sich etwas abge-
rückt von der Cornicelius-
straße auf dem hinteren Teil
des Geländes. Die 1842 von
den Brüdern Karl und Friedrich Kreuter gegründete
Firma zählte zwischen 1898 und 1918 zu den führenden
Herstellern von Kronjuwelen in Deutschland. 1842 von Karl und Friedrich Kreuter gegründeten Bijouteriefabrik,
Hofjuwelier:
Fürst von Montenegro; König von England, Kaiser Nikolaus IIv Russland, Großherzogin von Baden; Prinzessin von Wales, Kaiser und Königin von Deutschland, Preussen ; Großherzogin Mecklenburg-Schwerin; Großherzog von Hessen; König von Württemberg; Herzogin von Hamilton; Großherzog von Luxemburg; Fürsten v. Schaumburg-Lippe; Herrzog von Sachsen-Altenburg; Erbprinzessin von Sachsen-Meiningen; König von Italien;

Hesse Emerald Jewelry| Grand Duchess Alice| Grand Duchess Eleonore| Grand Duchess Cecilie Medival Emerald Diadem Pears Shaped Emeralds Suite

Hesse Emerald Jewelry| Grand Duchess Alice,| Grand Duchess Eleonore| Grand Duchess Cecilie Medival Emerald Diadem Pears Shaped Emeralds Suite
Hesse Emerald Jewelry| Grand Duchess Alice | Großherzogin Alice von Hessen Smaragd Anhänger, Smaragd Brosche aus dem Hessischen Hausschatz
Hesse Emerald Jewelry| Grand Duchess Alice,| Grand Duchess Eleonore| Grand Duchess Cecilie Medival Emerald Diadem Pears Shaped Emeralds Suite|  Großherzogin von Hessen
Hesse Emerald Jewelry| Grand Duchess Eleonore| Grand Duchess Cecilie Medieval Emerald Diadem Pears Shaped Emeralds Suite – on the bottom – Princess Cecile of Greece and Denmark married the hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse and By Rhine. The sister of the late Duke of Edinburgh died tragically young in an air crash in 1937.

The emerald suite, emerald pendant, emerald brooches, emerald stomacher, emerald tiara , emerald necklace, emerald medieval diadem, emerald pear shaped large pendant, was not personal property of the Grand Duchesses, this was part of the Hessian Jewelry Treasure.

 Hereditary Grand Duchess Cecilie of Hesse and by Rhine , Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark
Cecilie was the third child and daughter of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg.  Through her mother, she was a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

On 2 February 1931 at Darmstadt, Cécile married Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, above we see her wearing the altered emerald and diamond jewels in medivial style in 1905, from the workshop of Kreuter Hanau. The drawing of the emerald tiara or impressive coronet is still in the archive.
Hereditary Grand Duchess Cecilie of Hesse and by Rhine wore the emerald parure at the coronation of Georg V. of England, Great Britain and Ireland in London May 1937, with the emerald choker, the emerald stomacher, the emerald necklace, the emerald earrings with pendant.


On 16 November 1937, Georg Donatus, Cecilie, their two young sons and Georg's mother Grand Duchess Eleonore left Darmstadt for London, where they planned to attend the wedding of Prinz Ludwig von Hessen und bei Rhein  and Hon. Margaret 'Peg' Campbell Geddes. The aircraft in which they were travelling crashed in flames after hitting a factory chimney near Ostend, Belgium, killing all on board. Cecilie was eight months pregnant with her fourth child at the time of the crash, and the remains of the baby were found in the wreckage.
.
.
The medieval emerald suite with matching tiara, an impressive circlet of cabochon-cut stones set in clusters and rose diamonds in 1905 from Koch, Frankfurt made by Gebr Kreuter, Hanau.

Princess Alice wore this part of the royal jewels as a clasp on a pearl necklace with the large pear shaped pendant. It was later altered and arranged with diamonds, in the medieval suite with matching tiara, an impressive circlet of cabochon-cut stones set in clusters and rose diamonds in 1905 from Koch, Frankfurt made by Kreuter, Hanau.

Princess Alix of Hessen, lent it for one costume ball in the year 1893, it was not her own.