MARRIAGE of EARL BATHURSTand MISS BORTHWICK. The long -bilked of marriage of Lord Bathurst to Miss Borthwick, daughter of Sir Algernon Borthwick, M.P., was solemnised on Wednesday afternoon at St. Paul's Church, Knightsbridge, in the presence of a large and fashionable gathering.
The church was tastefully decorated, and the service was fully choral. The ceremony was conducted by the Rev. Montagu Villiers, the rector of St. Paul's, assisted by two other clergymen. Sir Algernon Borthwick conducted his daughter to the altar, and subsequently gave her away, while the Hon. Lancelot Bathurst attended his brother in the capacity of best man.
The bride wore a costume of ivory white duchesse satin, draped with old lace, and trimmed with a garland of orange blossom and a tulle veil.
She was followed to the chancel by eight bridesmaids — Miss Lister, the Hon. Constance Russell, and Lady Edith Wilbraham (cousins of the bride), Lady Evelyn Bathurst (sister of the biidegroom), Miss Leighton (daughter of Sir Baldwyn Leighton), Miss Stepney (daughter of Lady Stepney, cousin of the bridegroom), Lady Kathleen Coffe and the Hon. Evelyn Rothschild. They were attired alike in dresses of white silk trimmed with mink fur and made with yokes and sleeves of blue velvet. Their hats were of brown velvet a la Gainsborough, trimmed with feathers and blue velvet. They carried bouquets of roses and wore double-heart diamond brooch, with enamel "B" surmounting a pearl and diamond coronet.
At the conclusion of the ceremony the bridal party drove to the town house of the bride's parents in Piccadilly, where the wedding reception was held. Later in the afternoon Lord and Lady Bathurst left town for Ryde, Isle of Wight, where they intend passing the first part of their honeymoon. The bride's dress was of dark brown clotb trimmed with mink fur, with hat en suite. The wedding presents included many beautiful gifts from Royalty.
Her Majesty presented the bride with a massive silver tea service ; the empress Eugenie a gold tea and coffee service ; the Duke and Duchess of York a gold heart-shaped box set with gems ;
Among the bridegroom's gifts to the bride were a diamond tiara, sapphire and diamond ring, a horseshoe pearl brooch, a silver-gilt mounted dressing bag.
Sir A. Borthwich gave his daughter an Arab horse and a grand piano ; Lady Borthwick a diamond and pearl pendant ; Madame Albani-Guy pearl and diamond ring.
The Newspaper Press Fund, of which Sir Algernon Borthwick is president, presented Miss Borthwick with a richly chased solid silver two-handled bowl. Saturday 18 November 1893.
In the painting above, Lilias, Countess Bathurst (1871-1965) wore a antique diamond brooch, of
old-cut diamonds on a bar with three chain link drops below, mounted in silver and gold, adapted, 4.1cm.