The Harcourts have been at the centre of British society for a staggering one thousand years, whether as Oxfordshire landowners or in London as courtiers to the Royal Family; whether as Ambassador or barrister; whether as Field Marshal or aesthete; whether as MP or garden designer; whether as Chancellor of the Exchequer or Minister of Works. All have collected in one degree or another. Lady Harcourt's passion was jewellery.
In 1795 the Prince of Wales presented the largest diamonds and the pendant from the hat loop and button to Viscount Harcourt, after his wedding.
This Harcourt family heirloom was worn by Lady Harcourt in 1953 on the occasion of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
Also seen in the picture is a bracelet which was from Cartier and in the family until 2014 when it was auctioned by Sotheby's:
"Of open work geometric design accented with palmette motifs, set with circular- and single-cut diamonds, on a buckle clasp, signed Cartier, length approximately 180mm."
Similar bracelets were made by Lavabre for Cartier, Paris.
Diamond brooch from the late 19th century,
designed as a flower, set with a pear-shaped diamond leaf weighing 5.77 carats, pavé-set throughout with cushion-shaped, circular-, single-cut and rose diamonds.
Another famous jewel from Mary Harcourt's collection was the Diamond Tiara designed as a graduated series of stylized flowering plant motifs, set throughout with pear-and cushion shaped, circular-, single-, and rose-cut diamonds, on an adjustable band.
This tiara was most probably acquired by Lewis, 1st Viscount Harcourt 1863-1922 for his wife.