A wedding ceremony with royal splendor took place on June 28, 1843 for a member of the House of Hanover.
It celebrated the wedding of Princess Augusta Caroline of Cambridge to the Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The Dukes of Beaufort and Devonshire acted as best men of the royal bride, the former wearing the uniform and the insignia of the Order of the Garter, the latter his uniform of Lord Lieutenant along with the collar and diamond star of the Garter in addition to the collar of yet another order of knighthood.
The groom was accompanied by Baron Bernstorff and wore a dark blue cavalry uniform with crimson lapels, along with the ribbon and star of Guelph Order and the star of the Black Eagle.
The King of Hanover, elder brother of the bride's father, and the Crown Prince of Württemberg were also present.
The bride was accompanied by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and her siblings, Prince George and Princess Mary Adelaide.
The Princess wore on her head a wreath composed of orange flowers and myrtle, and a tiara of sapphires and diamonds, and a very large and most beautiful veil of point lace, remarkable both for its size and the elegance of its design. She wore a necklace of brilliants, a stomacher of sapphires and diamonds, as well as matching earrings.
The handkerchief carried by her Royal Highness was a present from her uncle, the King of Hanover. Of its kind, it is perfectly unique from the great beauty and costliness of the material. The initials of the Princess, surmounted by a coronet, had been introduced in the design. The train was decorated by the purest [Altas] silk- and silver fabric edged with festoons of orange blossom and silver.
The distinguished guests were welcomed by Queen Victoria, the bride's cousin, and Prince Albert, accompanied by the King and Queen of the Belgians and the Duchess of Kent.
Prince Albert wore the uniform of a field marshal and the insignias of the Order of the Garter and of the Golden Fleece.
The new chapel of Buckingham Palace was richly decorated. Six large golden candelabra stood on each side of the altar around which were arranged seats of red velvet and gold for the Queen and the Royal Family. The chorus from Handel's coronation anthem was sung as the bride made her entry in the chapel. The ceremony was officiated by Archbishop of Canterbury, the Archbishop of York, the Bishop of Norwich and the Bishop of London. See the sketch above.
After the wedding, the couple received the congratulations of those present, following which the Queen offered supper and a concert with great display of wealth and splendor, as illustrated by the bridal party above.
Messrs Lauriere, jewelers of St. James's Street, had the honor of providing the wedding ring for the occasion.
The Duchess of Cambridge gave her daughter an exceptionally precious diamond and sapphire parure composed of tiara, necklace, earrings, bracelet and stomacher.
A sketch of the original necklace and pictures of the individual sapphire and diamond elements of the large necklace can be seen in the image on this side>> The magnificent sapphire and diamond parure was a wedding gift from Queen Mary to her daughter-in-law, Princess Marina of Greece, in 1934
From Queen Dowager Adelaide a precious diamond tiara
From Queen Victoria: valuable jewellery of rubies and diamonds
From the Duchess of Kent: diamond jewelry
From the Duchess of Gloucester: jewels of turquoise and diamonds. This parure later belonged to Queen Mary, which she gave to her daughter-in-law, Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, which explains its very traditional setting. The parure came full circle--it started with a Duchess of Gloucester and returned to another.
From the Marchioness of Ailesbury: a ring with a large pearl and diamonds.
From King of Hanover: a medallion with his portrait framed in diamonds and a lace handkerchief, as described above.
Thank you to Rob for translation!
Sources: Oesterreichischer Beobachter 1843;