In 1843 the House of Brunswick celebrated an brilliant gathering, the wedding ceremony of Princess Augusta Caroline and the Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg Strelitz at the new chapel at Buckingham Palace in the evening.
The chapel was prepared for about eighty guests, exclusive of the royal and noble personages who bore part in the ceremony. The suite of rooms on the ground floor of the palace the upper or state suite of rooms and the picture gallery were all opened on the occasion and brilliantly illuminated, the grand hall was decorated with flowers.
Augusta (1822-1916) was Queen Victoria’s cousin, the second of the three children of Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge (1774–1850), son of George III, and his wife, Princess Augusta (1797–1889).
The King of Hanover appeared in a rich hussar uniform and the Duke of Cambridge was dressed in a field marshal's uniform.
The King and Queen of the Belgians and the Duchess of Kent attend, as well as of course her cousin Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The Majesty wore a petticoat of white net over white satin, trimmed with silver blonde and pearls. The train was lilac and silver shot tissue trimmed with silver blonde. The stomacher was trimmed with diamonds and pearls. The head dress a tiara of diamonds.
The royal bride supported on the right from the King of Hanover and the Duke of Cambridge on the other side to the altar.
The wedding dress of the Princess was of Brussels lace, manufactured for her royal highness of the choicest description ever imported into this country.
The dress represented two tuniques with a handsome Gothic pattern running over the top and both skirts terminating with splendid deep flounces. The front of the tunique was raised on one side with a guirlande of orange flowers and myrtle the myrtle being introduced with the orange flowers as the emblematic flowers of Germany and on the other end a bouquet of the same.
The manteau which was bore by the four maids of honour was of rich silver watered tissue of Spitalfelds Manufacture edged with a silver rosleau above which runs broad Brussels lace looped up at distances with bouquets of orange flowers and myrtle giving an effect to the whole costume of the Vandyke style.
The robe was of rich white satin and the manteau was lines throughout with the same rich material.
The head-dress of her royal highness consisted of orange flowers and myrtle and at the back a magnificent tiara of diamonds>> the costly present of Queen Dowager Adelaide, from which fell gracefully a superb veil of Brussels lace. The entire toilette of the Princess was most gorgeous combined with exquisite taste.
Messrs Lauriere the jewellers of St. James-street had the distinguished honour of making the wedding ring for this occasion.
After the registration of the marriage the party was go lowed to the state apartments and supper was served in the state drawing room on a long range of tables, decorated with golden plates, figures and details.
The Queen, the Queen Dowager, the Duchess of Kent the Duchess of Gloucester and the Princess Sophia each made presents to their youthful relative of every variety of jewelry. The presents to the Princess Augusta on the auspicious event of her marriage are said to be exceedingly numerous.
The Duchess of Cambridge presented her daughter with a complete set of jewels, including tiara, necklace earrings and other ornaments of diamonds and sapphires a most costly and splendid gift.
The tiara is seen above with sapphires and diamonds the front supporting seven grop panels of openwork foliate design and graduated in size from the centre, each claw-set with two cushion-shaped sapphires in a surround of cushion-shaped diamonds, mounted in silver and gold.
In 1861 the Duchess Augusta was painted with the large version of the tiara, consisting 17 lozenge upright elements.
The necklace with sapphires and diamonds>>
The Queens present was jewelry composed
of rubies and diamonds.
The Duchess of Kent was entirely jewelry of brilliants.
The Duchess of Gloucester jewelry of turquoises and diamonds.
Which was probably later was left to Queen Mary, her younger cousin and she presented it to her daughter-in-law wedding gift to the Duchess of Gloucester
The Marchioness of Ailesbury presented a handsome ring composed of a single pearl of large size set in brilliants.
The King of Hanover a medallion of him surrounded with diamonds
The leading nobility have given several costly presents a bijou from a fashionable Marchioness having coat 250 guineas.
Augusta, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, a granddaughter of George III, married the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in 1843.
She was the sister of Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge and aunt to Queen Mary.
Princess May of Teck - later Queen Consort Mary, was very closed with her godmother the Duchess of Cambridge as well with her aunt Augusta, so she inherit much of her jewels after the death of the Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. On this way the important sapphires came back in the english royal family again.
This Sapphire-Diamond Parure was the wedding gift of Queen Mary to her daughter-in-law Princess Marina of Greece>>
The tiara in the close up with seven ornaments, was offered as necklace with an half diamond riviere on backside in total length of 40cm. It was auctioned by Sotheby’s Geneva May 1993 and in 1998 from Christie’s.
Thank you to my dear Volker, Uwe and Mags
Sources: Observer July 1843;The Manchester Guardian1843;The Times;Sotheby’s Genf Mai 1993, Christie’s Genf Mai 1998;