Juwelen des dänischen Königshauses| Princess Marie de Orleans Opal Choker - Opal Parure| Prinzessin Viggo von Dänemark
Opal Choker Diamond Ruby and Sapphire Necklace Princess Marie of Orleans |France |Princess Waldemar of Denmark|Royal Jewel History
This set of opals are from Princess Marie's mother, the Duchess of Chartres, she had a all set of brazilian opales. In her three inventories of her jewelry made in 1881, 1903 and 1919.
The opales set of opal necklace, opal earrings and a opal brooch, is mentionned in the first one but not in the two others; As Princess Marie got married to prince Waldemar in 1885, the opales set, remounted on a tiara and a collier de chien, see above, for the occasion, may have been a wedding gift from her mother.
The french press noted, the wedding gift of the Duchess de Chartres:
"L. AA. RR. le duc et la duchesse de Chartres : une parure complète, rubis et diamants, vraiment incomparable"
Count Waldemar and his late wife, née Flora d'Huart, lived in Paris, they had no children, and got on closed with some of their Orléans cousins. As a matter of fact, count Waldemar's father, prince Aage, was first cousin to the late Count de Paris, Princess Marie Waldemar beeing the sister of the duke de Guise (comte de Paris's father).
Count Waldemar and his wife Wera are the god parents to Princess Chantal of Orléans's daughter, Kildine de Sambucy de Sorgues. Princess Chantal wore the collier de chien for the first time on the christening day of that daughter. Maybe it was a birth present from the god parents for this occassion.
She received the huge tiara at the same time and she wore it at one of her Wuerttemberg's nephew wedding in the 1980s, see the picture on the right side.
When Count and Countess waldemar of Rosenborg died they left all their fortunes and belongings to their cousin princess Chantal of Orléans and her daughter Kildine.
Sources:Gettyimages;Daily Telegraph Courier; London Daily News ;London Evening Standard; ST. JAMES'S GAZETTE;Le Monde;La Petite presse journal;Norra Skaane, 30 October 1885;The New York Times;