Diamond Coronet Tiara of seven large shamrocks, clover leaves in diamond, made ca 1820, above worn by Lady Dufferin, Hariot Georgina Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood 1843-1936.
MARRIAGE OF LORD DUFFERIN AND MISS HAMILTON, OF KILLYLEAGH CASTLE.
The marriage of Lord Dufferin and Clandeboye with Harriet Georgina, the eldest daughter of the late Captain Archibald Rowan Hamilton, of the 5th Dragoon Guards, and the owner of the Killyleagh estate, was celebrated in Killyleagh Castle on the 23rd instant (23 Oct 1862). She married her distant cousin the 5th Baron Dufferin and Claneboye at Killyleagh Castle.
"The auspicious event was looked forward to with the greatest interest, both the tenantry the noble lord and by those of the Hamilton property, for various reasons. There isn’t in all Ireland a landed proprietor more deservedly popular than Lord Dufferin. His lands are let far below their real value—one of his first acts, on attaining his majority, having been reduction, of a very sweeping character, of all the rents on his extensive estates. Not in this way alone has he evinced his anxiety for the welfare of his tenantry.
By his contributions to the Killyleagh and Killinchy Farming Society—to the North-East Society—to the Chemico-Agricultural Society and especially in the thorough acquaintance which maintains, through his active and respected agent, Mortimer Thompson, Esq., with the personal condition of each individual tenant—his Lordship has always proved that he is animated by a sincere desire to do his duty in the responsible position in which he is placed.
The address to Lord Dufferin, whose tenantry were grouped on the right-hand side of the Castle, was read by John Martin, Esq. Lord Dufferin's reply was simple, short, and effective.
In expressing the hope that he would make a good husband, and that his wife would happy, said all that he need. The ceremony of the marriage took place in the drawing-room of the Castle. The apartment was lighted with wax tapers, and handsomely decorated with red cloth, evergreens, flowers, and various floral devices.
Previous to the marriage, there was a dinner party en famille —save Mr. Murland, the lawyer of the family.
We are not versed in millinery, and therefore our lady readers will excuse us if we briefly state that the bride's dress was white glace silk, with puffings of Brussels lace, and that on her head she wore orange blossoms and diamonds.
She had as bridesmaids her young and beautiful sisters Helen, Gwendoline and Mary Catherine—who were dressed in white tarletane, with French white flowers in their hair. Miss Hamilton’s hair is dark, wore it in net, while her sister allowed her curls, which are pure golden, to fall on her shoulders. The groomsmen was Captain John Hamilton, of London.
The bride was given away by her brother, Gawn W. K. Hamilton, Esq., of University College, Oxford, the heir to the Killyleagh estate—her brother, Mr. George Hamilton; her uncle, Captain George Hamilton, and his wife ; well as Mr. Murland and Mr. Martin, of Shrigley, being present.
The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Dr. Hincks, Rector of Killyleagh. The band was stationed under the dining-room windows during the ceremony, and performed appropriate airs."
Thank you to Laura!