This brooch was given as a present to the then Princess Mary in 1893 by the County of Lincoln on her marriage to Prince George, Duke of York.
Earl Brownlow, Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire, has written to the mayors of all the boroughs in the county. Anouncing that an accout has been opened with the principal banks for the propse of receiving subscriptions for a wedding gift to be offered to the Duke of York and Princess Victoria Mary of Teck. The subscriptions are limited to £5. After the subscription is closed a meeting will be held at Lincoln to decide what form the gift will take.
According to a report in the Stamford Mercury, the chairman of the committee, Earl Brownlow, said that he “endeavoured to find out what would be most acceptable and he believed that Her Serene Highness Princess May would particularly value something in the nature of a brooch with a single pearl or diamond in the centre, set with diamonds. It would be an ornament that Her Serene Highness could wear now, and probably in a still higher position.” Apparently the Princess had indicated that she had not received such a gift and the chairman thought that she would value and appreciate such a gift.
The jewel was presented to Princess May on July 5.
The Lord Lieutenant of the County of Lincoln has much pleasure in acknowledging the contributions towards the Lincolnshire present spontaneously offered to the Princess Victoria Mary, Duchess of York, in the form of a brooch, by the following subscribers.
The Princess was much pleased with the present, and assured the Lord Lieutenant that, as a useful ornament, she should wear it very often.
Donors are : Earl Brownlow, Countess Brownlow, the Lord Bishop of Lincoln, the Marquess of Exeter, Mr. and Mrs. Thorold, SirW.E. Welby-Gregory, Bart., F. A. Lucas, Esq., the Misses Brooks, Edward Smith, Esq., Earl of Ancaster, Sir J. H. Thorold, Bart., Joseph Phillips, Esq., T. S. Pearson Gregory, Esq.,R.A.White, Es"isj.,S. S.Mossop, Esq., C. G. E. Welby, Esq., William Hornsby, Esq., Capt. Thorold, Earl of Lindsey, Lady Thorold, Col. C. J.B. Parker, Mrs. John Welby, N. H. Reeve, Esq., R. H. Johnston, Esq., Foston Parish, Earl of Winchilsea, R. J. H. Parkinson, Esq., Earl and Countess Yarborough, C. C. Sibthorp, Esq., Edmund Tumor, Esq., A. S. Leslie Melville, Esq., A. H. Leslie Melville, Esq., Captain Pretyman, A. Shuttleworth, Esq., V. Cary-Elwes, Esq., Sir H. Bennett, N. C. Cockburn, Esq., E. Bannister, Esq., E. M. Nainby, Esq., Mr. and Mrs. C. Scorer, Rev. Canon Pretyman, L. C. T. D'Eyncourt, Esq., R. Swan, Esq., S. F. Hood. Esq., G. H. Cary-Elwes, Esq., W. Bennett, Esq., W. D. Field, Esq., Colonel Mason, Rev. Thomas Field, C. S. Holgate, Esq., Miss Roebuck, Rev. H. Bolland, S. W. Mappin, Esq., Rev. J. Fothergill, Rev. R. B. Courtenay, J. Billiat, Esq., S. W. W right, Esq., R. F. Ealand, Esq., W. Butler, Esq., G. S. Boulton, Esq., Rev. J. T. Bassett, F. T. Swan, Esq., W. Bullivant, Esq., Rev. S. H. Bingham, Revil. and Mrs. Gooch, Mr. Samuel Farrow, Ingham S«hool, Mr. R. Bates, Mr. J. Marshall, Miss Farrow, Woodthorpe J. Clarke, Esq., Lieut.-Colonel J. Reeve, Hon. Mrs. Reeve, J. Sherard Reeve, Esq., W. R. Emeris, Esq., Clerk of the Peace Holland, Right Hon. Ed. and Mrs. Stanhope, Revd. C. W. Ross, Major J. G. Allott, J. G. Sewell, Esq., Revd. A. E. Low, Mayor of Louth (P. Best, Esq.), Town Clerk of Louth (T. F. Allison, Esq.), Dr. Fawssett, T. C. Garfit, Esq., Alderman Simpson, Revd. C. A. Alington, Revd. Canon Quarrington, George Doughty, Esq. (Mayor of Grimsby), Victoria Countess of xarborough, J. M. Richardson, Esq., H. J. Veal, Esq., Messrs. Grange and Wintringham, Jack Sutcliffe, Esq., Hewitt Brothers, Smith, Ellison and Co., Joseph Chapman, Esq., Robert Cook, Esq., Jos. Smethurst, Esq., W. C. Nainby Luxmore, Esq., J. H. Marshall, Esq., George Marshall, Esq., Thos. Newby, Esq., F. Hagerup, Esq., Messrs. Marshall and Atkinson, C. B. Moody, Esq., Grimsby Ice Co., North Eastern Fishing Co., Edwd. Bannister, Esq., Thomas Charlton, Esq., John Chatwin, Esq., Hull Banking Co., Grimsby, International Fishing Co., Harrison Mudd, Esq., John Fletcher, Esq., Wright, Esq., Mr. David Smith, Mr, David Brocklesby, Messrs. Seddon, Shepherd and Co., Messrs. Joseph Hewson and Co., Grimsby News Co., Limited, William Brown, Esq., Mr. Robert Wood, Mr. Charles Capes, Mr. J. Scott, Robinson, Mr. C. A. Guy, Mr. W. Harrisson, Messrs. Guy and Smith, Messrs. F. F. Lord and F. Dolan. Lincoln Diocesan Board of Education. Lincolnshire Chronicle.
The bandeau and the cluster brooch were bequeathed by Queen Mary to The Queen in 1953.
A 2nd diamond bandeau is known, which Queen Mary probably bought from the Empress of Russia, she wore it with a sapphire cluster brooch and Emerald as center, the ornament of the bandeau are different to this, in form of a star-light.
Thank you to Laura for the details of Grantham Journal, 08 July 18931; Stamford Mercury
Lincolnshire Chronicle, Grantham Journal 1.july; Stamford Mercury - Friday 14 July 1893 ;Royal-collection;
Die Queen Mary ein Bandeau aus Diamanten und Platin, als Mittelpunkt ist das Hochzeitsgeschenk des County von Lincoln angebracht, eine Diamantbrosche aus dem Jahr 1893.
Duchess of Sussex Bridal Tiara |Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau with County of Lincoln Brooch | Royal Wedding