Queen Elizabeth II Q Elizabeth II
ALBANY | Princess Helene
ATHLONE Princess Alice
ARGYLL | Princess Louise
BATTENBERG | Princess Beatrice
BATTENBERG | Princess Alice
| Princess Victoria Melitta Marie Alexandrovna Princess Alexandra Princess Beatrice Baby Bee
FIFE I Princess Louise
HAREWOOD | Princess Mary
MILFORD-HAVEN | Princess Victoria
KENT | Princess Marina
PRINCESS ALICE| Grandduchess of Hesse
ROYAL VICTORIA|Kaiserin Friedrich
PRINCESS MAUD | Queen of Norway
PRINCESS of CAMBRIDGE | Augusta GrandDuchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
DUCHESS of CAMBRIDGE | Catherine Middleton
Royal Weddings in History...
MAGNIFICENT Royal Wedding of the Princesses...
Duchess of Cambridge Catherine Middleton | Wedding
The royal wedding ring of H.R.H. The Duchess of Cambridge is made from Welsh gold, following the tradition which was begun when Princess Victoria Mary of Teck married H.R.H. the Duke of York in 1893. Kate's wedding band was created by Wartski from a piece of such gold that was given to Prince William by Queen Elizabeth shortly after his engagement. The couple’s decision that there would only be a wedding ring for the bride is a change from what has usually been done in the past. Prior to 1923, royal grooms wore their wedding rings on the fourth finger of their left hand (for example, Prince Albert, King Edward VII and King George V), but since that time, it has become traditional for grooms to wear “a narrow wedding band next to the crested gold signet ring on the little finger of their left hand” (for example, the Duke of Windsor, Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward, and Viscount Linley). The exceptions were/are King George VI and the Duke of Edinburgh (they did/do not wear a wedding ring) and Prince Michael of Kent (he wears "a gold band on his wedding-ring finger").
The veil is made of layers of soft, ivory silk tulle with a trim of hand-embroidered flowers, which was embroidered by the Royal School of Needlework.
The veil is held in place by a Cartier ‘Halo’ Scroll tiara, lent to Miss Middleton by The Queen.
The ‘halo’ tiara was made by Cartier in 1936, formed as a band of 16 graduated scrolls set with 739 brilliants and 149 baton diamonds, each scroll being divided by a graduated brilliant with a large brilliant at the centre. The tiara was purchased by The Duke of York (later King George VI) for his Duchess (later Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother)she wore it first time, three weeks before he succeeded his brother as King
In the Cartier archive it was noted she bought it herself on the 24th of August, from the time of her marriage Queen Elizabeth had her own account with Cartier, her purchases and commissions written our by hand in large leather bound ledgers. Rather endearingly however, once a year the balance owing was tranferred over to her husband's account and he paid her bill.
The scroll diamond tiara also known as the "Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara", was one of a handful of tiaras that the Queen Mother wore after she was married.
The tiara was presented to Princess Elizabeth (now The Queen), by her mother on the occasion of her 18th birthday, who has never worn it publicly, but over the years, has lent it to both Princess Margaret(worn by her at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II) and Princess Anne.
The bride’s earrings were diamond-set stylised oak leaves with a pear shaped diamond set drop and a pavé set diamond acorn suspended in the centre. The earrings were a personal gift to the bride from her parents for her wedding day. Inspiration for the design comes from the Middleton family's new coat of arms, which includes acorns and oak leaves and made by Robinson Pelham. The earrings were made to echo the tiara, which perhaps indicates that the tiara is a long-term loan or perhaps even a wedding gift from The Queen. The London-based firm of Robinson Pelham was founded in 1996 by Kate Pelham Burn, Vanessa Chilton and Zoe Benyon to make British-made, privately commissioned pieces as well as seasonal collections using British craftsmen. A similar pair of earrings from the non-commissioned line was £3 000. A spokesperson for the company stated "Robinson Pelham are greatly honoured to have been asked to design and make the jewels for the Middleton family and are delighted to be part of such an exciting and historic occasion," it said. "All of us at Robinson Pelham wish Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge all the happiness for their future lives together."
The Bride’s Bouquet
The bouquet is a shield-shaped wired bouquet of myrtle, lily-of-the-valley, sweet William and hyacinth. The bouquet was designed by Shane Connolly and draws on the traditions of flowers of significance for the Royal Family, the Middleton family and on the Language of Flowers.
-The flowers’ meanings in the bouquet are:
-Lily-of-the-valley – Return of happiness
-Sweet William – Gallantry
-Hyacinth – Constancy of love
-Ivy: Fidelity; marriage; wedded love; friendship; affection
-Myrtle: the emblem of marriage; love.
The bouquet contains stems from a myrtle planted at Osborne House, Isle of Wight, by Queen Victoria in 1845, and a sprig from a plant grown from the myrtle used in The Queen’s wedding bouquet of 1947.
The tradition of carrying myrtle begun after Queen Victoria was given a nosegay containing myrtle by Prince Albert’s grandmother during a visit to Gotha in Germany. In the same year, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert bought Osborne House as a family retreat, and a sprig from the posy was planted against the terrace walls, where it continues to thrive today.
The myrtle was first carried by Queen Victoria eldest daughter, Princess Victoria, when she married in 1858, and was used to signify the traditional innocence of a bride.
:::::::: :::::::: :::::::::
The Queen has been pleased to confer a Dukedom on Prince William of Wales on the occasion of his wedding day. His titles will be Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.
Prince William thus becomes His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge and Miss Catherine Middleton on marriage will become Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge.
In 1706 George Augustus (subsequently George II) the only son of George Ludwig, Elector of Hanover (subsequently George I of Great Britain) was created with other titles Duke of Cambridge. On the accession of his father to the throne in 1714 he also became Duke of Cornwall and was created Prince of Wales. On his own accession to the throne in 1727 the Dukedom of Cambridge merged with The Crown and ceased.
Cambridge was previously a Royal Dukedom and four sons of James, Duke of York (afterwards James II) who died in infancy were all created Duke of Cambridge. As an Earldom Cambridge was a medieval Royal title. Edward IV was Duke of York and Earl of Cambridge till proclaimed King of England in 1461 when his titles merged with The Crown.
His father and grandfather both Richard Plantagenet were both Earls of Cambridge and the latter was also Duke of York. Edmund of Langley, 5th son of Edward III and great-grandfather of Edward IV, was created Earl of Cambridge in 1362 and Duke of York in 1385.
The Dukedom of Cambridge created in 1801 became extinct on the death of the 2nd Duke of Cambridge in 1904. Cambridge existed as a Marquessate from 1917 when it was conferred on Queen Mary’s brother till 1981 when the 2nd Marquess died and the title became extinct.
Strathearn has had Royal connections since Robert Stewart, High Steward of Scotland, was created Earl of Strathearn in 1357. In 1371 he succeeded his Uncle as King of Scotland becoming Robert II and the Earldom merged with The Crown Robert II created his 5th son David, Earl of Strathearn in 1371. Subsequently in 1427 the 6th son of Robert II was created Earl of Strathearn.
In 1766 George III’s younger brother Prince Henry Frederick was created
Duke of Cumberland and Strathearn. He died without issue in 1790 and in 1799 Queen Victoria’s father was created Duke of Kent and Strathearn. These Dukedoms became extinct on his death in 1820. Finally, Prince Arthur William Patrick Albert, 3rd son of Queen Victoria was created Duke of Connaught and Strathearn in 1874. He died in 1942 and was succeeded by his grandson who died the following year 1943 since when Strathearn as a title has been extinct.
An Irish Viscountcy of Chichester of Carrickfergus now held by the Marquess of Donegall was created in 1625 but Carrickfergus alone only existed as a title between 1841 and 1883. The 3rd Marquess of Donegall was created Baron Ennishowen and Carrickfergus, of Ennishowen, co: Donegal and Carrickfergus, co: Antrim. He died in 1883 being succeeded by his brother and the Barony became extinct.
Carrickfergus is County Antrim’s oldest town. The word means Rock of Fergus and as an urban settlement it predates Belfast. It is on the north shore of Belfast Lough and is the site of Carrickfergus Castle which dates from circa 1180 and is one of the best preserved Castles in Ireland:
Sources: Professional Jeweller, Sunday Telegraph 01 May 2011;Leslie Field.