Reginald Herbert, 15th Earl of Pembroke and 12th Earl of Montgomery DL (8 September 1880 – 13 January 1960) was a British peer. His parents were Sidney Herbert, 14th Earl of Pembroke and Beatrix Louisa Lambton, daughter of George Lambton, 2nd Earl of Durham. He descended from a Russian aristocratic family, the Woronzows, through the marriage of Catherine Woronzow to George Augustus Herbert, 11th Earl of Pembroke.
Catherine's father, Count Semyon Vorontsov, the Russian ambassador to Britain, brought the family to London in 1785.
He married Lady Beatrice Eleanor Paget (of the marquesses of Anglesey) on 21 January 1904 and they had four children, we see his wife Beatrice Eleonore in Coronation Robes in 1937, above
It was described in the news of the day:
Dresses in the Abbey. A large sapphire was set in the centre of the diamond tiara worn by the Countess of Pembroke and Montgomery with a white dress embroidered with silver.
We will found some important sapphires at the wedding of Lady Beatrice Paget, Countess Pembroke in 1904:
Miss Beatrice Pagets only ornament on her wedding day will the large sapphire and diamond pendant given her by Lord Herbert, probably later worne, as the center of the tiara, above.
Splendid Wedding Gifts.—The gorgeous Indian necklace to be given to Miss Beatrice Paget on her marriage with Lord Herbert on the 21st january 1903 is the gift of H.H. the Khan, head of Mahommedun sect in India, who was so conspicuous at the Coronation, and who since then has been a good deal in England and very popular in London society.
The Indian collar presents a straight band of native wrought gold work, through which is thickly studded mass of deeply-coloured stones of every known variety found in the East, says The Daily Express, Every jewel is different, and the sapphires, which are of wonderful colour, include the Siam, Burma, and Cashmere varieties, well the Star Stone now so valuable.
The ruby is of especial beauty, and among other gems are the emerald, turquoise, amethyst, opal, pink, black, and white pearls, as well as blue, red, green, and black diamonds, and also fine specimens of the garnet, beryl, carbuncle, amber and bloodstone. Each stone is finely cut and highly polished, and the whole collar is bordered on either side with a deep band of pearls, while the clasps, which are especially beautiful, are also of pearls. Lord and Lady Pembroke have given a complete chest of plate, well as all the house linen, and the Duke of Connaught has followed the fashion of the moment in sending Lord Herbert piece of furniture which takes the form of an inlaid table.
Miss Beatrice Paget has receired numerable gifts it sow of her wedding to Lord Herbert, which taken place tomorrow.: Besides the wonderful necklace which was given to her by Aga khan, a quantity of jewellery is included among her presents:
Ernest Beckett has given her a diamond and ruby brooch,
Lady de Grey a beautiful diamond ornament,
the Duke and Duchess of Roxburghe have sent some rubies and diamonds.
Alfred de Rothschild's gift is a jewelled bracelet.
The King, diamond and ruby pin, to Lord Pembroke.
To Miss Paget.
Lord Pembroke, diamond hair jewel - probably the tiara above;
Lady Pembroke, diamond and turquoise pendant;
Lady Muriel and Hon. George Herbert, diamond and sapphire crescent;
Admiral Lambton, turquoise head ornament ;
Earl of Durham, diamond and ruby brooch.
Lady Alington. plate bucket; Miss Percy, small silver box ;
Lord and Lady Scarborough, paste head wreath ;
Hon. E. Brougham, red enamel butterfly brooch ;
Mr and Hon. Mrs Beckett, large turquoise and diamond ring ;
Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch, sapphire and diamond bracelet;
and Ladv Brougham, large blue enamel brooch;
Ihe Aga Khan, Indian stone dog collar necklace;
Mrs and Misses Cavendish-Bentinck, gold box ;
Mr. K. Beckett, ring;
V. Brassey. gold box;
Capt. Banbury, gold chain purse ;
Mr. L. Beckett, diamond and ruby brooch ;
Lord and Lady Bingham, gold pin cushion;
Lord and Lady Burton, jade box;
Miss Bourke, walking stick;
Lord and Lady Chasham, sapphire and diamond pendant;
Mrs Corrie, diamond and pearl bracelet ;
Lord Grey, diamond necklace ;
Lord Herbert, writing pad, book plate, diamond and sapphire ring, diamond and sapphire pendant;
Comte and Comtesse d’Hespel. gold box;
Lord and Lady Home, muff chain;
Lord Imrestre, pins and brooches in case;
Lord and Lady Kilraorey. gold salt bottle;
Mrs Naper, enamel buttons;
Lord and Lady Northcote, Indian pendant;
Lady Alexander Paget, large diamond ring and set of Chinchilla furs.
Mr. George Paget, old box. ...
Hon. M. Russell, diamond charms ;
Miss Sturt pearl and ruby pendant;
Turquoise necklace, subscribed to Lady Marjorie Manner. Lady Mabel Crichton, Hon. K. Brougham. Lady Mabel Palmer. Tr.dy Lettico Hon. Monckton. Misses Breese, Miss Astor, Miss le Bricnen; Miss Stopford, Miss Balfour, Miss Horner, Miss Klford, Miss Canard Miss Tree, Miss Lawwn. Miss Sturt, Miss Mundy, Miss Farqnbar, and Miss Sturges Hill.
The marriage of Lord Herbert, heir to the Earl of Pembroke, will be one of the events of next week. Already Lady Beatrice Paget has received wedding presents that eclipse even the most brilliant souvenirs given during the last twelve months. Fortunate is the bride whose family showed hospitality to any of the Indian princes who came to England for King Edward's Coronation. Any doubts ever entertained of the fidelity and gratitude felt by the oriental potentates must be set at rest by the eagerness with which opportunities of making gifts are seized.
Lady Beatrice Paget now the richer a wonderful collarette of wrought gold work, into which are inserted diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, opals, turquoises, and pearls. According to western ideas such mixture of coloured stones would considered to barbaric, but all depends upon the donor and his selection of design. Aga Khan the head a great Mahomedan Sect in India, has presented this collarette, and made his offering. Since the Coronation visit it has become not unusual for the native potentates to make visits Europe, to Paris for preference, with short trips across the Channel to England. This last is however often abandoned when the Channel passage has to be undertaken, which is more dreaded even than the steamer by which return journeys to India are made. A peculiarity Aga Khan's gift is that the stones are all cut after the western mode, instead of being set in the rough, natural condition, very little, if all, appreciated by English ladies.
MARRIAGE OF LORD HERBERT AND MISS BEATRICE PAGET.WEDDING LOUD HERBERT AND MISS BEATRICE PAGET. Society people crowded St. Peter’s Church, Eaton Square, Loudon, yesterday afternoon on the occasion of the marriage of Lord Herbert (Royal Horse Guards Blue) elder son the Earl of Pembroke, and Miss Beatrice Paget, younger daughter of Lady Alexander Paget, Southwick Crescent,, Among fashionable folks In the West End the event aroused more than ordinary interest and the hundreds of beautiful and costly gifts which poured in on the happy bride and bridegroom were evidence of the popularity of these representatives of two noble families.
Admission to the church, magnificently decorated for the occasion with a profusion of white flowers and tall, stately palms, was limited strictly to those possessed with tickets, but some considerable time before the hour of the ceremony all portions of the church were filled to their utmost capacity. The area of the church reserved for the distinguished wedding party soon became crowded with a fashionable assembly, and outside throngs of ladies waited the cold, foggy afternoon witness the arrival of tne guests. long procession smart equipages rolled up rapid succession to the grey old ouilding in Eaton Square, and times so great was the crush that 1 strong force of police on duty outside the church , had no little ditticulty in regulating the traflic. But everything went smoothly and those who were privileged view the interior scene from the vantage point of the richly carved gallery looked down on a spectacle surpassing interest and beauty. Lovely women (many of them well-known London society) in gorgeous gowns of mingled hues glided softly up the aisle to their appointed seats while the low sweet strains of the oigan spread through the church, filling the whole building with delicious melody.
Among the many notable people invited to the wedding —most of whom attended—were the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland, the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne, the Dowager Duchess of Roxburghe, the Duke and Duchess of Roxburghe, the Duke Richmond and Gordon, the Dowager Duchess of Abercorn, the Duke and Duchess of Abercorn, the Duke and Duchess of BUccleuch, the Duke and Duchess of Leeds, Katharine Duchess Westminster, the Marquess Anglesey, the Marquess and Marchioness of Hamilton, the Dowager Marchioness of Headfort, the Marquis and Marquise de Hautpoul, the Marquess and Marchioness Cholmondeley, the Dowager Marchioness Conyngham, the Marchioness of Hastings, the Earl and Countess Pembroke, the Earl and Countess of Cadogan, the Earl and Countess of Dudley, the Earl and Countess Selborne, the Earl and Countess of Warwick, Lord and Lady Methuen, Lord and Lady Brougham, Lord and Lady Robert Cecil, Lord and Lady Algernon Gordon Lennox and Lord and Lady Helen Stavordale.
As the hour of the ceremony approached detachment of the bridegroom’s regiment, the Royal Horse Guards (Blue) with trumpeters all in glittering accoutrements, arrived at the church and took up positions on each side of the outer porch and lobby.
The arrival the bride accompanied by her brother, Mr. Charles IH. A. Paget (who is heir presumptive to his cousin the Marquess of Anglesey) who gave her away, was heralded by loud triumphant peal on the organ. As she stepped from her carriage into the inner lobby of the church an interesting incident took place. The ollicer in charge of the Guardsmen stepped forward, and with low bow presented the bride on behalf of his comrades with a huge shower bouquet white flowers, bound together with the regimental colours. This pretty incident was witnessed by many outside the church, and they could scarce forbear a cheer when Miss Paget accepted the bouquet with a sweet smile and murmured word of thanks.
The bride looked beautiful in her rich dress of white crepe chine, exquisitely embroidered in chiffon and madonna lilies. The long white satin train was also trimmed with chiffon and lilies. No lace was the gown, and the only jewellery she wore was diamond and sapphire | pendant, one of the gifts of the bridegroom. Her veil, lent her by Lady Pembroke, was of real Brussels lace, and very old and bedutiful piece of work. It has been for a long number of years in the possession of the Pembroke family. ' At the wish of Lord Herbert she wore a large quantity of orange blossoms wreathed round her bead. Following the bride, and holding her train, walked two tiny girls. Miss Cady Beckett and Miss Rawsoo, and two little boys, Lord Settriogton and the Hon. Maynard Grevllle. This picturesque quartette added a bright touch of colour to the scene. The little maids wore white chiffon frocks with large “Grannie” bonnets tied with blue ribbons and the boys wore blue and white musketeer suits with slung capes and large hats with long feathers. Behind these attendants came the eight bridesmaids : Miss Winifred Paget (the bride’s sister). Lady Muriel Herbert (sister of the bridegroom), Lady Evelyn Ker Lady Kathleen Tbynne. the Hon Ethel Gerard, tlie Hon. Eleanor Brouham, Miss Stapleton-Cotton and Miss Colebrook. Their dresses were of thin, soft, white accordion pleated cloth trimmed with sable and old gold belts, and they wore large pale pastel bine Napoleon hats adorned with gold braid and brown feathers. They carried white vellum prayer books the gilt of Lord Herbert, who gave them also their diamond brooches with coronets .
Thus the procession headed by the choir boys moved slowly up the aisle, the Guardsmen with swords and spurs clanking bringing the rear. The Hon. Richard Molyneux acted as groomsman. The Bishop of Salisbury performed the ceremony assisted llev. Prebendary Stotts, Vicar of St. Peters, and Canon Olivier. The musical portion of the service was rendered the large choir of the church augmented number of voices from the Chapel Royal, St. James. The wholescrvice was one of extreme simplicity and lasted only short time. After the ceremony Lord and Lady Herbert, followed by over 400 guests, drove to Stratford House. Stratford Place, the residence of Sir Edward Colebrooke, where the presents were displayed and where a reception was given. The presents as already indicated were numerous and magnificent, and included the following To Lord Herbert.
Royal Party in Palace - In 1921 the Countess of Pembroke - was noted a gown of black jet with a diamond tiara and diamond and pearl ornamets.
Earl of Pembroke, was first created in the 12th century by King Stephen of England. The title, which is associated with Pembroke, Pembrokeshire in West Wales, has been recreated ten times from its original inception. Due to the number of creations of the Earldom, the original seat of Pembroke Castle is no longer attached to the title.
As of 2018, the current holder of the earldom is William Herbert, 18th Earl of Pembroke, which is the 10th creation of the title. For the past 400 years, his family's seat has been Wilton House, Wiltshire.
Since 1605, the Earls of Pembroke have also held the title Earl of Montgomery. This was created for the younger son of Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke before he succeeded as the 4th Earl in 1630. The current Earls of Pembroke also carry the subsidiary titles: Baron Herbert of Cardiff, of Cardiff in the County of Glamorgan (1551), Baron Herbert of Shurland, of Shurland in the Isle of Sheppey in the County of Kent (1605), and Baron Herbert of Lea, of Lea in the County of Wilts (1861). All are in the Peerage of England except the Barony of Herbert of Lea, which is in the Peerage of the United Kingdom
Sources;Gentlewoman;Westminster Gazette;The court;Birmingham Daily Gazette;The Salisbury Times;The TIMES;Wikipedia;The Tatler;Wilton House;