Princess Mary was born on 4 November 1631 at St. James’s Palace, the eldest daughter of King Charles I and Queen Henrietta Maria.
On 2 May 1641, at the age of nine, the kings daughter was married to William II, son of Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange and Amalia von Solms, at the Chapel Royal, Whitehall Palace.
Mary is shown wearing her wedding ring and the large diamond brooch given to her by her husband on 3 May 1641, the day after their marriage. A large pearl necklace and costly pearls in her hair, like a ribbon. A gem setted bracelet on the left.
Look at her spectacular coral gown, decorated with silver thread trim along its border, is thought to be similar to that worn for her wedding, rather than the cloth of silver-gold she wears. The apparent weight of the fabric, falling in broad, heavy folds, along with the bright highlights along the creases, suggest the fabric may have been cloth of silver. Shimmering highlights, applied in swift, cross-hatched strokes, were used as a form of shorthand by artists, mimicking the lustre of metallic threads as the textile caught the light. In accordance with the fashion of the period, her gown is open down the front, revealing a stiffened stomacher across the chest and a matching skirt beneath.
The ribbons, which would at one time have been functional, lacing the skirt and stomacher to the bodice, were applied purely as adornment. One ribbon, however has been pinned or stitched flat to disguise the seam between the bodice and skirt. The Princess’s brooch, the string of pearls and ribbons on her shimmering dress are rendered with remarkable precision and delicacy, characteristics that defined the artist’s finest late works.
She was baptized on the same day by William Laud, Bishop of London. Mary remained in England for a year after the marriage, eventually following her husband to Holland in 1642, accompanied by her mother and a train of four hundred courtiers. In March 1647, William II succeeded his father as Stadholder of the Dutch Republic and Mary became Princess of Orange. Her new position at court, however, caused conflict with her mother-in-law. The ill health which Frederick Henry had suffered between 1640 and his death in 1647 had meant that Amalia had effectively ruled as Regent and Stadtholder during this time. Mary’s appearance at court seems to have represented something of a challenge to her mother-in-law, with one of Mary’s ladies allegedly saying that ‘it was time the princess should run the country’, since Amalia had done so for so long. Source: christie’s
When Prince Arthur, son of Queen Victoria, Duke of Connaught saw the original portrait of his bride, in November 1878 he wrote to Queen Victoria to describe it: ‘It is really lovely, so like and yet so pretty and natural – She is taken three quarters face in a low gown of a creamy colour, her hair quite plain, my locket round her neck on a thin gold chain(probably his engagement gift), and that ruby and diamond star left her by her Grandmama* on her breast…
Which grandmother of Princess Luise Margarethe of Prussia, Duchess of Connaught, left her the large star brooch with ruby?
We know both of the Grandmamas……
*Grand Duchess of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach and Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia 16 February 1786 [OS 5 February] – 23 June 1859
*Princess Frederica Wilhelmina Louise Amalia of Prussia (30 September 1796 – 1 January 1850) was a daughter of Prince Louis Carl of Prussia and Frederica of Meklenburg-Strelitz. She was a member of the House of Hohenzollern. By her marriage to Leopold IV, Duke of Anhalt-Dessau, she would become Duchess of Anhalt-Dessau.
Die Tiara aus Smaragden und Diamanten ist ein Meisterwerk des Schmucks aus der Zeit der „Restauration der Bourbonen“.
Es bereicherte die Sammlung des Schmuck der Französischen Krone ungemein, die 1887 versteigert wurde.
Im Auftrag von Louis XVIII wurde es für seine Nichte der Herzogin von Angouleme, von Christophe-Frédéric Bapst und Jacques Evrard Bapst, Juweliere Krone bis zum Zweiten Reich, ausgeführt.
Ein prächtiges Diadem für eine königliche Prinzessin Marie Therese, die Herzogin von Angouleme (1778-1851), Tochter von Ludwig XVI. und Nichte Ludwigs XVIII., erhielt dieses Schmuckstück von ihrem Onkel.
From Imperial and Royal Jewels…This royal tiara of emeralds and diamonds is a masterpiece of the jewelery of the Bourbon Restoration.
The diadem of Marie Therese Duchess of Angouleme, was unlike the jewelery set, which was the property of the Duchess of Angouleme, inscribed in the inventory of the Crown Diamonds.
The jewellers Bapst, used four large emeralds bought by Louis XVIII and diamonds from the Crown collections. Under the Second Empire, the tiara was worn by Empress Eugenie, who particularly appreciated emeralds.
Then it was offered with the other crown jewels in 1887, as lot Nr 27 for 50 000 frs, when the jeweler Messrs. A. Bachruch bought it for 45 900 frs, on behalf of the wealth Austrian-Hungarian magnate Count Mano Andrassy more than 67 years it was in the treasure of the Andrassy…
Now it’s solved, because, nothing was known about it in the time between 1887 and 1954 – as well as till 1958! check for details and the interesting treasure >>
April 1918, es war noch Kriegszeit – entsprechend praktisch musste das kaiserliche Geschenk sein.
Das Diadem liess sich in fünf Broschen teilen und war für die Nachkriegszeit mit über 40 Karat Diamanten, kostbar und edel, die Brautmutter hatte ausserdem der Erzherzogin Hedwig, Schloss Kühtai überschrieben.
Auch die Feier auf Schloss Wallsee war nur im engsten Familienkreis…..
April 1918, it was still wartime – the imperial gift had to be correspondingly practical. The diadem could be divided into five brooches and was precious and noble for the post-war period with over 40 carats of diamonds, the bride’s mother had also signed over to Archduchess Hedwig, Countess Stolberg-Stolberg,Schloss Kühtai.
Even the celebration at Schloss Wallsee was only in the closest family circle…..